A belated Happy New Year to you all and welcome to Lazarus On London, providing you a summary of what’s hot and not from this side of the pond — or so it would seem. As Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, I thought I’d give all you chaps a one-off guide to sweeping the girl of your dreams off their feet.
Lou Lou and I are keeping things local and very much low-key this year, what with the de-…or should that be recession set to stay with us for some time.
So for all you Buzzine readers, whether you’re strolling down the streets of San Diego or dining in Dubrovnik, relax and enjoy my top five V- Day guide.
Top 5 Guide To Impress Your Date
“I may not be Fred Flintstone, but I bet I can make your bed rock.” “You must be Jamaican, because Jamaican me crazy.”
These are some of the one-hit-wonders that aren’t simply lyrics to some of the more unconventional hits that didn’t make the UK Top 10, but are just a few of the chat-up lines that some of the 1 billion-plus females have had to endure across the world. (I wonder how they sound in Dutch or Hindi.)
However, once you’ve secured an elusive first date with that special girl, it’s not over yet, as a rigorous regime of grooming, trimming, and waxing can begin. No girl in their right mind will melt like butter in the arms of a smelly, unkempt bloke, pizza stains and all. The Neanderthal, uncouthed man is out, and the metrosexual, metropolitan man with all his lotions and potions is definitely in. He smells good, he’s confident, likes to dress well, and doesn’t mind a flirt here or there. So now that you’ve bagged the girl, what’s the plan of action? Here to tantalize your eyes is the Top 5 Guide to impress your date.
1. Candles – If French is the language of love, then candles are the object of desire. Soft candles and lighting create a seductive atmosphere which is ideal for a rendezvous. If you’re on a budget, then tea candles are your best bet, while for those with bigger wallets sample some of the delights that companies like Jo Malone and Paris stalwart Diptyque throw up.
2. Food – They say the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but this should not necessarily be just for males. If you are a culinary whiz, then you’re almost certain to knock the socks off (and if you’re lucky, then maybe other garments) your date. A girl won’t be satisfied by a guy who plays it safe with classic dishes including “spag bol” and cheese on toast. However, she will be notably impressed if you put a little thought into your creations. For inspiration, check out the BBC Food site or recipes from Michelin-starred chefs, including Gordon Ramsay and Frenchman Alain Ducasse.
3. Conversation – The art of conversation is a tool every man should have up his sleeve, particularly if he wants to impress his date. Make sure you take an interest in what she does and ask her about what she likes, no matter how tediously boring (yes, stamp-collecting and calligraphy do count). Most importantly, listening plays a part in the process. A compliment here or there will also go a long way, and a flirty comment, if timed to perfection, will give you extra brownie points.
4. Venue – If you’re meeting in town, then the choice of venue is crucial to a girl’s first impression. Somewhere relaxed and informal will ensure that she isn’t scared off before she even sets foot inside. However, she won’t be impressed if you take her to your local boozer or sweaty club. A stylish, elegant bar where you don’t need a megaphone to be heard is the perfect place to chat and sip a cocktail or two. Some ideas for you to mull over include the stunning 28th floor bar at Galvin and Detroit Bar in the heart of Covent Garden.
5. Surprise – This element will always keep a girl on her toes, and the unexpected will keep an air of mystery. If you’ve gotten to know your date and discovered some juicy tidbits, then taking her to a place or doing something that’s special to her will certainly go down as a treat. Certainly not to be promoted on the first few dates, but after some time, if you buy your girl a small gift, this will show a lot of thought and effort has gone into the process and is sure to hit the maximum level on the caring-meter.